Monday, February 14, 2011

Daring Cooks: Soba Noodles and Tempura

This is my first Daring Cooks Challenge!  This month the challenge was to create some form of a cold noodle salad and tempura.  Buckwheat noodles were preferred.  I took my best stab at making them and will have to revisit them again sometime.  I switched to rice noodles because it had that same simple fresh taste to compliment the tempura.

The finished meal! Green bean, crab and sweet potato tempura and rice noodles with Mentsuyu (traditional dipping sauce)



more after the jump!




Making the pasta was a PAIN....in the end it lacked a lot as well.  I am thinking that it might be the quality of the buckwheat flower since it came from the bulk section at a local store.  If I were to try it again I would sift the flour several times (at least three) or buy a different brand.  It had a VERY grainy taste.  Like when sand gets in your food at the beach. 





The tempura and dipping sauce was fabulous though!  This is something I would make again willingly.  Using rice noodles reminded me how much I love them and I have a feeling we will be seeing a lot more of them on our dinner table.  Already we have had a night with peanut sauce and them.  








No comments:

Post a Comment