Sunday, March 13, 2011

First time canning and Some Marmalades

I am increasingly enjoying David Lebovitz's blog.  I have also wanted to try canning for quite sometime now.  So when I saw his recipe for Bergamot Marmalade and tons of citrus was in season it was a perfect opportunity.  Bergamots were not available but Meyer Lemons and Blood Oranges were.  The best part about all of this is I have never actually tried eating a marmalade or a blood orange so this was an interesting experience.  Overall I was quite pleased with the results.  I will link to the recipe for the Lemon Marmalade here.  The only addition was that I used the meyer lemons and let three vanilla pods cut in half steep in the liquid as it boiled.  I would also listen to his advice of adding the Kirschwasser.  It is a little pricey but it really makes the whole thing come together.  In the end it really turned into something visually pleasing and I think it would taste wonderful layered into a vanilla cake if not on a biscuit.  For the Blood Orange I didn't really measure anything but it turned out tasting quite good.




The Brand of Kirschwasser I used:

Enough for sharing!
See the lovely little vanilla flecks! 


The finished Blood Orange, my favorite of the night. 

Now that I have finally figured out that canning is relatively easy there will be no store bought jam in our future! I am also very lucky to have a grandfather who owns a grape farm. Now I just cannot wait until berries and grapes are in season!  






1 comment:

  1. A co-worker of mine suggested that we try making "wine jelly." She's giving me the recipe soon. Of course, this is the Internet....

    ReplyDelete