At the Daring Cooks Reneta of Testado hosted this months challenge. The challenge was to make a savory container and fill it with something appropriate. I made a cracker bowl with salad inside. These would be wonderful as appetizers. We had them for dinner with maple glazed salmon added to the salad. Recipes included below for Maple Glazed Salmon and the Cracker Bowl. The salad consisted of a spring mix, carrots, burdock root, strawberries and sunflower seeds. Then for the dressing a strawberry balsamic dressing.
*Recipe inspired by How it all Vegan.
- .25 c. flax seeds
- .25 c. pistachios (optional)
- 1.25 c. flour
- .5 t. baking powder
- .5 t. salt
- 4 t. margarine or butter, earth balance if you would like to keep it vegan.
- .5 c. rice milk
- seasonings. I didn't measure for this part. I added some dill because that was what we had in the house. Depending what you are putting in the cracker bowls or if you are going to roll them out flat and do crackers choose flavorings of your choice.
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Mix in a food processor (this will crush up the pistachios) :flax seeds, pistachios, flour, baking powder, salt, and seasonings.
- With hands mix in the margarine.
- Add Rice Milk and continue mixing. The dough should not stick to your finger when touched.
- Cut dough in half. Let rest 10 or so minutes.
- Spray bottom half of a muffin tin.Roll out dough thinly and cut into smaller pieces if making bowls. Cut enough dough to cover the bottom of one section of a turned over muffin tin. Continue putting over tin until you have the amount of cracker bowls needed. If making regular crackers spray or coat a cookie sheet. Roll out the dough and cut into desired shapes.
- Bake crackers for 12-16 minutes. Flipping once. If making the cracker bowl the bowl will not need flipped.
- Fill with salad, hummus, cheese, whatever you decide you think will be best!
Maple Glazed Salmon:
- 2 Decent sized Salmon Filets (6-8 oz.)
- 3 T. Maple Syrup
- 1 T. Teriyaki
- 2 T. Pineapple Juice
- 2 t. fresh ginger
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- pinch of pepper
- a few sprays of braggs liquid aminos. or soy sauce.
- Stab Salmon filets with a fork a few times.
- Mix all but the salmon together and put in a shallow container.
- Place Salmon on top upside down.
- Marinate overnight.
- Cook on 350°F until done. I didn't time it but it was around 15-30 minutes.
- When finished I flaked it up and put it over the salad and topped everything off with a strawberry balsamic!